ASVAB is literally the abbreviation for ‘Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery’. It is a multi-aptitude or suitability test conducted by the US Military Entrance Processing Command to admit various applicants into any of its Military branches like the Air force, the Army, and the Navy. The rest includes the Marines, the Coast guards, and the National Guard
In 1968, the ASVAB was introduced in the United States before it was adopted by most branches of the military in 1976. In 1968, the first test was taken in order to know the importance and applicability of the exam program. Consequently, the ASVAB Study Guide and Training Course was administered at high schools across the country to stimulate enlistments and improve the efficiency of the recruiting program. The scores and results of the students were received by the recruiters who used this as a road map and prototype for subsequent testing
HOW IT IS CONDUCTED
Most high schools conduct the ASVAB test for their students who are yet to complete or obtain the HS diploma. The US government usually sends a test administrator to these schools to oversee or administer and conduct the exam for every applicant.However, other persons who are not in school, including those without a high school diploma, are still eligible to take this test. An alternative such as GED can be usedfor the HS diploma, although there are some strict conditions attached to it, for example, the AFQT minimum required score is 31 for the Army if the diploma was used to apply, whereas you would need at least 50 or higher if GED was rather used.
The ASVAB is a series of tests developed by the Department of Defense and it gets to test the mental capacity of the applicants to ascertain if they are mentally fit to join the United States Military. The exam is valid for a period of two years and most of the test domainsare related to the following areas:
- General Science: The US army believes that as military personnel, you must be knowledgeable in the aspect of science that involves a good understanding of the Earth, orbit, nature, plant and animal science along with gases.
- Knowledge of Mechanical Devices: This section tests the students on the overall aspect of certain mechanical equipment. Due to the rise in technology and sophisticated weapons, the applicantsare tested on their level of mechanical understanding. Such candidates must have a grasp of modern technological advancement in the mechanical field.
- Communication and Word Understanding:The individuals are tested in this area to ensure that they are well grounded on the aspect of verbal communication with others. As a military officer, there is an important duty to make use of every opportunity provided to protect lives of citizens and this cannot really be achieved without effective communication.
- Writing Intelligence: This particular area measures the ability of the applicants to obtain information from written materials, such as newspapers, books, articles, and letters.
- Arithmetic Reasoning and Comprehension: This section tests the students on the aspect of solving basic mathematical problems involving figures. It is also a vital part of the military services as a military officer is meant to have a better understanding of numbers.
- Knowledge of Electronics: In an evolving world of technology, it is very important for a military officer to have a sound knowledge of devices such as computers and other electrically operated objects.
- Knowledge of Automobiles: The domain examines the understanding of each applicant in terms of proper usage of car, trucks, bikes, boats, etc.
It is important to note these few tips are very vital for passing the ASVAB test. They are:
- Create a reading plan and time table for studying past ASVAB questions.
- Learn about the ASVAB test areas.
- Make a visit to an automobile workshop and spend some time studying whatever automobile you find there.
- Endeavour to take practice problem and word solving online tests.
- Try solving past ASVAB exam questions.
- Endeavour to have a good night rest before the test day.
- Arrive at the test venue at least an hour before the scheduled start time for the exam.
- Follow the instructions on the question paper.
- Maximize your time effectively on questions you are very sure of.
- Be objective and conclusive while answering your questions.
The US military upholds privacy in high regard thus they do not disclose the test results of various participating applicants. It is pertinent to note that there has been a lot of criticisms on the modus operandi involved in the testing process. Some critics have advocated that the exam be scrapped off as it does not truly reflect the essence which it was earlier established for. They say that stricter measures have been put in place and the use of technological means of marking has not helped issues in this case.
However, you must know that the US Army is among the top 10 in the world. This height of achievement is as a result of the thorough and rigorous processes involved in their selection stages. The ASVAB test was a major step taken towards the right direction, which has positively impacted the type of persons admitted into the military and it would further increase the notability of other military branches available with proper maintenance over time.So if you’re really serious about getting into the military, then you need to be more earnest and scrupulous with your preparation, starting from now.