In this technology-driven era, the film entertainment company PVR is taking a step forward and become the first player in India to ditch the century-old projector screening system and is partnering with Samsung to install a huge LED TV at one of its theatres in New Delhi to offer a TV-like viewing experience for movies.
These Samsung displays are called the Onyx Cinema LED screens. The company will offer these display in three sizes – 5.1x 2.7m (2K resolution), 10.2×5.4m (4K resolution) and 14×7.2m (4K resolution).
The major uniqueness of the Samsung Onyx LED screen is that the content is delivered right on the screen itself from the servers and it is similar to streaming content on any TV.
The first theatre that will offer an LED screen viewing experience with 10.2×5.4m (4K resolution) Onyx LED display is the PVR Icon at the DLF Promenade, Vasant Kunj, in New Delhi. The upcoming Bollywood movie ‘Stree’ will be available for the viewers to watch on the LED display.
Further, Samsung is expected to launch 10 of its Onyx Cinema LED screen across select PVR and Inox theatres across India. However, it is being anticipated that theatres will charge a higher rate for the “Onyx” experience.
QUALITIES OF ONYX CINEMA LED SCREEN:
– The quality and audio experience is better than the normal cinema screens.
– If someone enters late in the hall, the light from opening the doors will not disturb the movie that’s going on in the screen. This is because it’s a screen (like any other TV) and not dependent on any projector, it can be experienced even with lights on.
– The screen delivers HDR to the cinema, showcasing on-screen content at peak brightness level.
– This is nearly 10 times greater than that offered by standard cinema projectors.
– The screen offers Onyx surround sound from JBL and Samsung’s Audio Lab.
– The 3D Onyx Cinema LED screen claims to make movies more realistic by the enhanced brightness and consistent color amplification.
Along with this, Samsung has also extended another partnership with Inox and the first Inox theatre with Samsung Onyx LED screen and is expected to be launched in Mumbai further this year.
Also, not only cinema halls, but Samsung is also targeting other sectors with its Onyx screens such as corporate events, concerts, sports event viewing and gaming competitions.
SNA Displays also sells its LED displays for the purposes of large scale visual advertisement or showcasing such as the billboards that can be seen in Times Square. One of their technologies is the transparent display.