It’s been a long time that you have not sent something special for your loved ones? Or you are googling some service provider for your important document to be delivered on time? And of course in this fast paced world you surely don’t have time to wait in long queues.
When we think to send a courier, the only thing that pops our mind is the brand we remember or a location near our home or office. And moreover there is no trusted platform where we can compare courier rates and services. But now you can do that in one place, online and instantly.
So eCourierz.com is here at your doorstep!! eCourierz is an online market place where you can compare different courier services and find the cheapest/fastest/best deals. It connects courier and express companies and audience.
Does it make sense? Then know how it works.
3 SIMPLE STEPS
HOW IT ORIGINATED?
The whole idea of eCourierz is to be like makemytrip or redbus for couriers.
When customers are comfortable comparing and choosing between various airlines online, they believe that a similar problem can be solved in this industry by taking things online. As technology has made our lives easier than ever before covering every single field and in variety of industries, eCourierz hope to be able to do the same in the logistics industry. They have MVP website and dashboard and use everything they learn on a daily basis to make a more robust product.
FROM START TO NOW
Being launched in September, now they are working towards certain goals like a certain number of shipments per month. They are operating all over India but have a focus on a few key cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai and many more. They are on the path to learn about the industry and the customers to figure out how to tailor solutions to the particular market.
REVENUE MODEL AND FUNDING
Working on fee-for-service model. While displaying MRP rates of courier companies, every time there is a booking, they receive a commission. Currently self funded and will seek external funding in future. Their work is on the marketing and sales side.
CHALLENGES AND COMPETITION
- First challenge is to work with courier companies of varying degrees of technological sophistication. It is very difficult to have a one-size-fits-all approach and the system need to be very flexible. Moreover, the industry is extremely fragmented. A Crisil report from 2013 on the industry estimates that there are around 2,500 courier service providers in the country.
- Secondly, customers usually think them as courier companies and not as an aggregator.
- Thirdly, many companies have strict restrictions on what can and cannot be carried. When a customer wants to send a certain item, they have to do some work in the backend to find out which companies will carry it and what documentation they require for it. It really is one big matching game!
Building a website to launch a startup is the easiest step in the journey.
There are many websites that have sprung up recently but the biggest competitor happens to be the physical locations of Courier companies.
Every so often we see companies starting (and shutting) with a website with a similar service too. That is inevitable when it comes to anything tech related. The barriers to entry are really quite low. What happens next, how well we execute and understand our customers will set us apart.
INTRODUCING THE TEAM
Co-founding team consists of 4 members, 3 of whom used to work together in a logistics company in Mumbai. They have noticed the inefficiencies in the logistics industry very directly every single day and thought that a technology enabled solution is required to bring some efficiency into this industry. Once they had the idea of aggregating couriers ranked by price, time and other attributes, they needed to find a tech co-founder to build the platform. And then Ajay, eCourierz CTO, joins the team.
- Shiva: Ex DHL, Management Graduate of University of Mysore
- Sreenivas: Graduate of London School of Economics (BSc Economics and MSc Real Estate Economics and Finance); Ex Arshiya Limited
- Ajay: Completed Projects at Yahoo, EMC. Versata, Graduate of PSG Tech
- Shashi: Graduate of BIMM, Pune; KnownLogistics Company
The team consists of 9 people presently in a mixture of tech and sales.