OTTAWA, Ontario, 1st December 2020– Shopify Merchants cash in $5.1+ billion in global sales of Black Friday through Cyber Monday. The total sales grew by 76% from the $2.9+ billion reported for Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend in 2019.
In this record-setting weekend, shopify retailers daily total sales increasing 19 days before Cyber Monday, nearly two weeks earlier than previous years. In fact, in the week leading up to Cyber Monday, from November 23 through November 30, sales increased by 84% from 2019.
“This has been a transformative year for commerce globally,” said Harley Finkelstein, President of Shopify. “The record sales we saw on Shopify over Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend demonstrate the power of the independent and direct-to-consumer businesses on our platform. With the center of gravity in commerce shifting from in-store to online, the pandemic has accelerated a change we have long anticipated. This multichannel shopping phenomenon is the blueprint for the future of retail and we couldn’t be more excited by it.”
Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Shopify powers over one million businesses in more than 175 countries.
2020 Black Friday/Cyber Monday Global Highlights
- 44+ million consumers globally purchased from independent and direct-to-consumer brands powered by Shopify, a 50% jump from 2019.
- Consumers spent $89.20 USD on average per order throughout the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend. Consumers in Japan ($106.40 USD) and Australia ($105.50 USD) spent the most on average, ahead of shoppers in Canada ($103.00 USD), the US ($92.80 USD), and others.
- The top-selling cities over the shopping weekend were New York, Los Angeles, and London while the US, UK, and Canada were amongst the top-selling countries worldwide.
- Japan (347%), Italy (211%), Germany (189%), and UK (122%) saw triple-digit growth of sales on the platform since last year.
- Mobile sales stayed relatively flat this Black Friday/Cyber Monday compared to last year, with 67% of sales made on mobile devices versus 33% on desktop, compared to 68% of sales made on mobile devices versus 32% on desktop in 2019.
- Apparel and accessories held the top spot for sales across Shopify-powered stores this weekend, with health and beauty, and home and garden following.