The search engine giant, Google Inc is set for its first battle in a London court over the “right to be forgotten” in two cases. This is the first time that the court in England will be dealing with the matter of Google’s personal privacy and public interest.
The case is filed by two businessmen (anonymous) who want the search engine to take down the information of their older convictions, Bloomberg reported.
One of the men had been found guilty of conspiracy to account falsely, while the other of conspiracy to intercept communications, said Judge Matthew Nicklin at a pre-trial hearing Thursday.
The convictions highlighted are old and presently covered under an English law designed to rehabilitate offenders- saying they can effectively be ignored. With a few exceptions, they don’t have to be disclosed to potential employers.
“This is the first time that the English court is going to decide the issue of the right to be forgotten,” Nicklin said.
Alphabet Inc’s Google search engine has already seen some tough time in battling in European Union’s top court over the right to be forgotten. The principle was created by EU’s highest court in a precedent-setting ruling in May 2014, which allows people to request for the removal of links to online information about them which is no longer relevant or is outdated. The ruling is only valid in the nation, but Google has repeatedly seen itself in legal battles over privacy regulations.
“We work hard to comply with the right to be forgotten, but we take great care not to remove search results that are clearly in the public interest and will defend the public’s right to access lawful information,” a Google spokeswoman told the source.
The first trial will be starting on 27 February while the second on 13 March. The former one will be dealing with a person who has challenged the Google to remove information, known as NT1, while the former, in which the plaintiff is known as NT2, is not a celebrity or politician.
Google has raised an alarm about risks to freedom of speech that it says are posed by the right to be forgotten. Two separate European Court of Justice cases about that right “represent a serious assault on the public’s right to access lawful information,” Google’s general counsel, Kent Walker, said in a blog post in November.
The cases are: NT1 v. Google and NT2 v. Google, High Court of Justice, Queen’s Bench Division, Case No.’s HQ15X04128 and HQ15X04127.