At Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2016, Ericsson President and CEO Hans Vestberg said digital disruption will come to every industry in 2016 and made major announcements in 5G, the Internet of Things (IoT) and cloud. With these announcements, Ericsson solidifies its positions as a leading ICT transformation partner for customers across industries.
As Ericsson’s vision of 50 billion connected devices approaches, three fundamental ICT forces – broadband, mobility and cloud – are rapidly reshaping value chains, digitalizing business models and creating possibilities that were previously unimaginable. As an ICT leader, Ericsson is enabling this transformation and simultaneously evolving itself.
Vestberg said: “Along with our industry and our customers, Ericsson is on a transformation journey. Today, 66 percent of our business comes from software and services; just years ago the majority was hardware. The majority of our principal competitors are ICT players, rather than telecommunications businesses. Our portfolio is constantly evolving to keep pace with customer demands. Now, with industries and even whole societies being disrupted by mobility, broadband and cloud, we are accelerating our own transformation.”
Turning to Ericsson’s MWC 2016 launches, Vestberg identified 5G, IoT and cloud as the hottest topics in the ICT industry – and made major announcements in each area:
- Ericsson has agreements with 20 major operators around the world to work together on 5G – more than any other vendor. 5G radio prototype network field trials will continue with operators in 2016.
- Ericsson is leading research initiatives for 5G pre-standardization including 5GEx, METIS II and 5G for Europe; the company is committed to continued engagement with industry and society partners.
- Ericsson is active in aligning industry time plans (3GPP, ITU-R) to assure the commercial launch of 5G in 2020.
- Ericsson is delivering 5G concepts to improve today’s 4G networks – Ericsson Lean Carrier, Elastic RAN, Massive IoT (NB-IoT and LTE-M).
- Ericsson’s new IoT Transformation offering is a modular set of IoT professional services and software solutions that can be tailored to operators’ needs and IoT ambitions. It leverages Ericsson’s global services footprint, industry experience and technology leadership to help customers drive IoT transformation and business.
- Ericsson is collaborating with AT&T to bring the operator’s Digital Life solution – which uses IoT technology to transform home security and automation – to service providers outside the US.
- Ericsson has announced plans to form a global business, technology and services alliance with Amazon Web Services (AWS) to accelerate cloud transformation for telecoms service providers.
- Ericsson has joined the Open Compute Project (OCP) to drive adoption of data center solutions based on the company’s software-defined infrastructure and Intel® Rack Scale Architecture.
- Ericsson and Quanta Computer have formed a strategic partnership to accelerate manufacturing of the Ericsson Hyperscale Datacenter System 8000.